Stainless Steel is a well known and most used metal for the development of pipes due to its versatile chemical composition and features. Stainless steel is available in different qualities, materials and specifications that meet all industrial needs. SS 304 is one of the most widely used non-magnetic and austenitic stainless steels, suitable for the manufacture of all types of pipes. 304 stainless steel tubing and 316 stainless steel tubing are available in different types such as seamless, welded and tubular flanges.
Stainless Steel 304 and Its Usage
- Type Stainless Steel 304 Pipes, with its chromium-nickel content and low carbon, is the most versatile and widely used of the austenitic stainless steels. Its alloys are all modifications of the austenitic alloy with 18% chromium and 8% nickel.
- Type 304 has been shown to be resistant to oxidation, corrosion and durability.
- Type 304 stainless pipes of steel are used in corrosion-resistant electrical enclosures, auto moulding and trim, wheel covers, kitchen equipment, hose clamps, exhaust manifolds, stainless hardware, storage tanks, pressure vessels, and piping.
Stainless Steel 316 and its usage
- Type Stainless Steel 316 Pipes is an austenitic chromium-nickel stainless and heat-resisting steel with superior corrosion resistance as compared to other chromium-nickel steels when exposed to many types of chemical corrodents such as seawater, brine solutions, and the like.
- Type 316 SS alloy pipes contain molybdenum bearing it has a greater resistance to chemical attack than 304. Type 316 is durable, easy to fabricate, clean, weld, and finish. It is considerably more resistant to solutions of sulfuric acid, chlorides, bromides, iodides and fatty acids at high temperatures.
- SS containing molybdenum are required in the manufacture of certain pharmaceuticals to avoid excessive metallic contamination. The bottom line is that Type 316 Stainless steels containing molybdenum are necessary for the manufacture of certain pharmaceuticals to avoid excessive contamination of metals.
Applications of Stainless Steel 304 & 316
Duplex Stainless Steel serves many different applications in these industry categories:
- Chemical Process
- Oil & Gas
- Sea Water
- Water Desalination
- LNG (Liquefied Natural Gas)
- Nuclear Power
- Solar Power